Grimsby Puppy Classes
Our Happy Puppy Life Skills Classes take place in Grimsby on Tuesday evenings at 6.15pm, and are open to puppies who are under 20 weeks’ old at their first class.
We keep class sizes small with 4 to 6 puppies maximum, and focus on teaching the life skills that your puppy needs to become a happy and confident family dog in the 21st century.
Classes take place over 7 weeks, with the first week being a class just for us humans!
Why Happy Puppy Classes?
Our Happy Puppy Classes are designed to help prepare your puppy for everyday life and the experiences they will encounter. Based on the innovative ‘Life Skills for Puppies’ concept, developed by the University of Lincoln, you and your puppy will learn key life skills as well as basic training skills, such as sit/down/stand, loose lead walking and recall, and much more.
You will also learn how to understand your dog’s behaviour, the common causes of unwanted behaviour and, more importantly, how to address the cause (not just the symptom). You will also learn to recognise the signs of when your puppy is feeling afraid or anxious, and understand why consistency in training is so important.
Over the course, your puppy will learn how to:
- Walk nicely on a loose lead
- Come back when called
- Listen to cues, such as sit/down/stand
- Have good manners and say ‘please’
- Be calm
- Settle – both at home and when out and about (in a café or pub)
- Enjoy visiting the vets
- Enjoy being handled and groomed
- Deal with ‘surprises’ and novel experiences
- Deal with frustration and not always getting what they want
The course includes:
- A copy of the book – Life Skills for Puppies (normally retails for £12)
- A range of additional handouts after each class
- A doggy goody bag
- Certificate and rosette upon completion of course